Wednesday, September 14, 2011

dream job




"If you built castles in the sky ; your work need not be lost ; that is where they should be. Now, put the foundations under them. " - Henry David Thoreau


I still don't quite know where my castles stand, or how they're laid out. I think I've become too busy trying to build foundations that I've forgotten to look up and dream and let go. I'm trying to, though. Someone asked me what I want a day ago, and it was strange because I hadn't thought in those terms for a very long time. I still don't particularly have an answer to that, or answers in general. But the question helped. My professor shared this quote freshman year, and, like many of his students, it's stuck with me:

“Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions” - Rainer Maria Rilke

There's so many life questions I use that for, but one most particularly:


God?



The answers I get confuse me. A lot. Today I was thinking about such things, when Micah 6:8 came to mind:


or, put another way,



Although I became familiar with this because of its social justice aspect, it's the last part that I resonate with most strongly. For me, that is my heart. At least, I want it to be. Even the cross is empty of its power if you do not approach it with humility. Today, that is an answer.



And since I'm just a little Sarah, I go back to that first question more just about me and what I'm doing. And I go back to the Rilke quotation about the point being to live everything - both questions and answers. I don't even know exactly what my dream is yet, what castles I want to build, how I want to use my hands to help. But that's good, because it keeps me humble with the interests I do have. I'm kind of all over the place. I might not yet have many answers about what my dream job is or should be. But I believe I can do something good with my hands. Thanks partially to my friend Amber's collaborative art piece With These Hands. Here's mine.

I also remember what godly professors taught me about worship being at the heart of mission, and what vocation we all share, and about goodness, truth, and beauty, and - yes - about walking humbly with your God. I think of all of that when I think about my dream job. And I know I have to be brave. Because I know what I want my answer to that first question to be:



No comments:

Post a Comment