Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Dandelions. Theory.



Have you ever seen Horton Hears a Who? I’ve had that in my mind a bit lately, as dandelions keep coming up for me, and pieces of fluff remind me of dandelions. Seriously, though, I’ve got dandelions on the brain:
- on my flight to Philly I dreamt people were outside of my window flying on dandelion clouds
- at BuildaBridge’s training we drew to classical music: arpeggios were a stick figure hanging on to a dandelion flipping around in the wind, along with the universe orbiting and ending where it began and stuff
- I went into an Ikea for the first time. Epic. So streamlined, so efficient. This hanging light, radiating wires from its center tipped with white plastic strips to look like a dandelion. Beautiful shadows.
- the front page of Circle of Hope’s church “map” has an action sequence of a dandelion growing in a bunch and then spreading out and flying away, as church growth. “Taraxacum officinale” are well-known for their ability to multiply, and their “long used culinary and medicinal values.” Wiki verified their history and potency as a healing root, particularly in China.

That’s why I asked people about them on fb – thanks for responding, really. I forgot about childhood wishes on dandelion fluff, even though I did it earlier this month! The idea of my grandma paying my dad a penny a pull for childhood chores to keep him from boredom is so sweet. I had forgotten they were considered weeds, and the curious case of how that status is decided (stop judging the weeds, they’re beautiful!). I need to read Dandelion Wine, and maybe try some, too. I also was introduced to a crazy-good song along those lines (thanks again Joanna!).



Joanna asked me what they meant to me. I’ll try to answer.

All those childhood wishes remind me of how I would always focus on the few tufts that didn’t fly away and pout. Sometimes it bothered me a lot – I didn't get my wish! But other times watching the rest of the tufts fly away balanced that sadness out. It was therapeutic, to breathe all that stress away with the flower. You let go and fly away yourself. It always reminds me of Jay Adams. The first seconds of this vid, it's just this young kid looking all adorable like he’s ready to blow out a dandelion and make a wish. As you watch, you see him and his skill grow, and if you watch the film, you see more. But even by the end of this clip...well, you'll see. It’s why it’s stuck with me all this time. It’s one of the reasons why I always feel a pain of worry and fear for adorable and talented little kids. Every single time.



Dandelions remind me of innocence lost and of regrets. As a friend posted alongside a picture of early Christians about to get martyred via lion dinner, God’s good plans for you aren’t always exactly what you expect, and honestly sometimes I think they just don’t exactly happen, either because of your mistakes or someone else’s. I haven’t tried to think that out theologically. I should, but I haven’t.

Anyways, with all that in mind, sometimes letting go doesn’t seem like a very good idea to me. The way Jay explains it interests me. He doesn’t really agree with the interviewer’s “still stoked” question. He just tries not to trip too hard.

Well. For more exciting words that actually talk about what I've been up to - trying not to trip too hard and let go - see the next entry! Exciting, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment